What Is Wood Veneer

What is wood Veneer?

Solid wood is so much better than veneer right? Well its really not that simple, there are many different types of wood, grades of veneer and backing applied to veneer. I want to try and break down all of the misconceptions, myths, pros and cons about veneered furniture.

[hr]
What is veneer? Quality veneer is a sliced sheet (about 1/42” thick) of wood taken from the entire length of a log. It is sliced, dried and glued together to make 4×8 sheets. Some veneer sheets can be much thicker depending on their intended use and some much thinner (1/128”). The very thin veneer is used for mass produced furniture and should be avoided at all costs. The veneer may be backed with several different types of backing from no backing, paper in 10 or 20 mil thicknesses or PSA which is basically a peel and stick backing like a big sticker.

Wood veneer for furniture

Veneer Rolls

Generally speaking veneer sheets are applied to a piece of solid wood or high quality plywood. The wood or plywood is coated in very strong glue and then the veneer is placed on the glue and pressure is applied for up to 24 hours until the glue has hardened.

There are many different grades of veneer available on the market today ranging from AA, A, B, C, D & E with AA being the best grade of veneer. There are also backer grades which are meant for unseen or rarely seen parts or sides of furniture.

Veneered furniture may be a little more expensive than solid wood furniture but it is better in quality and appearance. It is cost prohibitive to use high grade lumber to build furniture and you get a much larger selection of quality cuts when using veneer.

Another reason to use veneer is because solid wood can be unstable. This is especially true when talking about some exacting woods and different burls or crotch cuts. The great thing about having quality plywood under veneer is that it is much more stable than solid wood. The plywood and veneer do not move as much during seasonal changes in humidity and weather. Another advantage of veneer is that it is light and bends easily without causing stress within the wood.

[pb]
Most furniture pieces that are veneered are really a combination of veneer and solid wood construction. The proper use of veneer and solid wood are the key when purchasing or making furniture. High traffic areas should not be veneered such as a chair, but low or no traffic areas such as a table top or chest should be.

By | 2014-07-19T16:57:54-06:00 July 17th, 2014|All About Wood and Furniture Making|2,007 Comments

About the Author:

2,007 Comments

1. sbobet88 bola terbaik June 21, 2021 at 3:43 pm - Reply

A fascinating discussion is definitely worth comment. I think that you should write more about this subject matter, it might not be a taboo matter but generally people do not talk about such issues. To the next! Kind regards!!

2. Truman June 21, 2021 at 11:48 am - Reply

Today, I went to the beachfront with my children. I found a sea shell and gave it to my 4 year old daughter and said “You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear.” She put the shell to her ear and screamed. There was a hermit crab inside and it pinched her ear. She never wants to go back! LoL I know this is completely off topic but I had to tell someone!

3. Hurricane Video June 20, 2021 at 5:47 pm - Reply

Hurrah! Finally I got a web site from where I can in fact obtain valuable data regarding my study and knowledge.|

4. Fast worship Songs June 20, 2021 at 5:25 pm - Reply

I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was great. I don’t know who you are but certainly you’re going to a famous blogger if you are not already 😉 Cheers!|

5. Sadie Vukelich June 20, 2021 at 10:38 am - Reply

An intriguing discussion is worth comment. There’s no doubt that that you need to publish more on this issue, it might not be a taboo subject but typically people do not discuss such subjects. To the next! Many thanks!!

6. Ellie June 19, 2021 at 6:18 am - Reply

We absolutely love your blog and find almost all of your post’s to be just what I’m looking for. Do you offer guest writers to write content for you personally? I wouldn’t mind producing a post or elaborating on a number of the subjects you write about here. Again, awesome site!

7. Alysia June 18, 2021 at 9:26 pm - Reply

I’m just writing to make you understand of the really good experience my friend’s girl enjoyed using your web site. She came to find a good number of things, which included how it is like to possess an awesome coaching spirit to get the mediocre ones effortlessly know precisely selected tortuous topics. You really exceeded my desires. Many thanks for rendering these great, trusted, revealing as well as fun tips on that topic to Emily.