Are Old Trunks Worth Money

Are old trunks worth money is a common question that I am asked often. Short answer is some are and some are not. Lets start with what is very valuable.

Louis Vuitton Trunks ($5,000 – $25,000)

These are the mother of all trunks when value is considered. They can fetch up to $25,000 at a large auction but average sales hover around $10,000. You can easily spot a Louis Vuitton trunk by looking for the LV initials on the fabric of the trunk. Be very careful though as many fake Vuitton trunks are floating around on the market.

Sold Listings

(Click the arrow at the right corner to expand)

[su_document url=”https://antiquetrunksandchests.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/LV.docx”]

Goyard Trunks ($2,000 –  $15,000)

Goyard trunks was started in 1792 and is still in business today.  They are based in Paris, France and their older trunks also bring in a good bit a money at auction. Their trunks have a special cloth lining called Goyardine.

Sold Listings

(Click the arrow at the right corner to expand)

[su_document url=”https://antiquetrunksandchests.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Goy.docx”]

Other French Made Trunks ($1,500 – $5,000)

Chances are if you have a trunk that was made in France it will be worth a good chunk of change. Trunks produced in France always seem to fair well at auction when compared to American made trunks.

Martin Maier trunk showing Are old trunks worth moneyMartin Maier Trunks ($500 – $3,500)

Martin Maier trunk company was located in Detroit, MI and was in business from 1865 to an unknown date but around 1910. Much of the hardware he used on his trunks had the initials MM cast into them. Many of his trunk models were made of thin wooden slats as pictured. These trunks are highly sought after by many collectors and trunk enthusiasts in the US. It is unknown how many of these trunks exist today.

Picture of old trunk - Are old trunks worth moneyOther American Made Trunks ($25 – $1,200)

Values can range greatly depending on condition and style. Some American made trunks can bring much as much as $3,000 but it is extremely rare. You may want to learn how to appraise trunks.

I hope this answers your question as to whether old trunks are worth money. If you have any other questions please contact me.

Learn More About Trunk Restoration & Refinishing

[su_box title=”More Trunk Restoration Information” style=”soft” box_color=”#e7f6fc” title_color=”#070807″ radius=”6″]

Recommended Restoration Tools – Wonderful tools that can make a restoration much easier

Pictures of Restored Trunk – See some of the work we have done

Trunk Restoration Tips – Useful tips tp help refinish your trunk

How To Replace Trunk Handles (Video) – Easy to follow video about handle replacement

How to Clean Out The Inside Of A Trunk (Video) – How to remove paper and refinish the inside of your trunk[/su_box]

Learn More about Trunk Values & History

[su_box title=”Antique Trunk Inormation” style=”soft” box_color=”#e7f6fc” title_color=”#070807″ radius=”6″]

View Trunk Catalogs From The 1800’s – Real catalogs showing trunks for sale from the late 1800’s

Antique Trunk Values – Find how much trunks are really worth

FAQ About Antique Trunks – You have questions, we have answers

Restoration Services – Let us handle all your restoration needs

Hand Crafted Trunks For Sale – Check out our trunks we make by hand[/su_box]

By | 2017-08-28T07:41:25+00:00 August 14th, 2014|Everything About Antique Trunks|39 Comments

About the Author:

39 Comments

1. furtdso linopv July 15, 2018 at 8:07 pm - Reply

Hi there, just became alert to your blog thru Google, and found that it’s truly informative. I am gonna watch out for brussels. I will be grateful if you continue this in future. Lots of folks might be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

2. furtdsolinopv July 14, 2018 at 10:16 am - Reply

Merely wanna remark on few general things, The website design and style is perfect, the subject material is very fantastic : D.

3. furtdsolinopv July 12, 2018 at 4:07 pm - Reply

What i do not understood is in fact how you are now not actually a lot more well-favored than you may be now. You are very intelligent. You recognize therefore significantly on the subject of this topic, made me for my part imagine it from numerous numerous angles. Its like men and women don’t seem to be fascinated until it’s one thing to do with Girl gaga! Your personal stuffs nice. All the time handle it up!

4. furtdso linopv July 12, 2018 at 4:06 pm - Reply

I have read a few good stuff here. Definitely worth bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how much effort you put to make such a excellent informative site.

5. freelance marketing July 10, 2018 at 6:29 pm - Reply

I think that everything published made a lot of sense. However, what about this? what if you composed a catchier title? I am not saying your information is not solid., however suppose you added a post title that grabbed folk’s attention? I mean is a little boring. You ought to peek at Yahoo’s home page and note how they create news headlines to grab people interested. You might add a related video or a related pic or two to get people excited about everything’ve written. In my opinion, it might make your website a little livelier.

6. illustration July 7, 2018 at 5:51 pm - Reply

I rarely drop responses, but i did some searching and wound up here . And I actually do have some questions for you if it’s allright. Is it only me or does it give the impression like a few of these responses appear like coming from brain dead visitors? 😛 And, if you are posting on additional sites, I’d like to follow anything fresh you have to post. Would you make a list of every one of all your communal pages like your linkedin profile, Facebook page or twitter feed?

7. graphic design July 6, 2018 at 4:53 pm - Reply

I drop a comment whenever I like a post on a site or if I have something to valuable to contribute to the discussion. It’s triggered by the fire communicated in the article I browsed. And after this article. I was actually moved enough to post a leave a responsea response 😛 I do have a couple of questions for you if it’s okay. Could it be just me or do some of the remarks look like they are written by brain dead folks? 😛 And, if you are writing on other places, I would like to keep up with you. Would you list every one of all your public sites like your twitter feed, Facebook page or linkedin profile?

8. best wya to market July 5, 2018 at 5:55 pm - Reply

I hardly leave responses, however after looking at through a few of the comments on this page. I actually do have 2 questions for you if you do not mind. Could it be only me or do some of these responses look like they are written by brain dead people? 😛 And, if you are writing on additional sites, I would like to follow anything new you have to post. Could you post a list of all of all your shared pages like your twitter feed, Facebook page or linkedin profile?

9. furtdsolinopv July 4, 2018 at 11:36 pm - Reply

Very interesting info !Perfect just what I was looking for! “To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.” by Bertrand Russell.